Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Strawberry Jam, sort of...

It's Strawberry season in Florida and I am in LUUUUUV! We went to a pick-your-own farm one Saturday morning and really went to town. When we got home we had two huge box tops full of strawberries. I think the lady said we had 14 POUNDS (!). So we decided to make some jam.



The Goods



Jake, mashing "The Goods"


My own home made version of a boiler for canning. I read about different ways to do this online to make sure that I did it safely. Don't worry, folks. There will be no botulism in my house!


The finished product! The only problem is that I tried to do the sugar-free recipe. I realized half way through that I had mashed twice as many strawberries than I needed. Well, I doubled everything except for the sure-gel box and didn't think twice. I realized about two days later when neither of the two jars that I had opened set correctly what happened. It's okay though. We roll with the punches in this house. We are using it as chunky strawberry syrup and it is real good on top of vanilla ice cream.


Sawyer likes it so it must be good!

No comments: