Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Well, here I am again. It might appear as though I am falling off the bandwagon but I assure you I am not. Yesterday was kind of hectic. I’m still trying to unpack my house but I am finding that nothing is ever easy to do with two kids. I’ve been feeling a little dizzy with fatigue but I haven’t been able to take a nap because as soon as I get one of the kids down, the other one wakes up!
Jake got home from work two hours late yesterday. He had a load of fun stories to tell us. He got to participate in his first arrest yesterday. A man drove his car UNDER a semi! Can you believe it? I’m not sure what the detail sharing protocol is so I’ll err on the side of caution and not say more than that. I’m so proud of Jake for getting this job. We have spent so many hours talking about where we are going and what our goals are. It feels so good to finally have our foot in the door.
So after my last two posts I realized that I need to make a real attempt to document something of value over the next year. Writing something every day just to meet my quota isn’t going to be valuable in 20 years outside of simply knowing what went on day to day. I would prefer to leave something on this blog that will help my children have a better idea of who I was as a young woman. Do any of you moms ever think about that? We know our children so well. They will learn who we are on a deeper level eventually but that will be after years and years of motherhood and 20 or so years of marriage. We won’t even be remotely close to the same people that we are today!
That is my goal for this blog; to give my children a snapshot of who I am today when my children are 2/3 and less than 1.

I’ve been saying one thing that makes me lucky or blessed every day. I have to say that today’s blessing is a little silly.

I am so blessed to live in a city with warm temps and high humidity because I can never get my act together and put the top back on Jane’s stamps when she is done using them on the porch. Lately we have been starting our day with a healthy dose of “Super Why”, “Clifford”, and “Curious George”. After our shows we turn the T.V. off for the day and play on the porch and in the living room and bedroom for the rest of the morning. Well, for the last few days Jane and I have been making buggies with stickers and markers and using our stamp pads a LOT! The only problem is that I get busy and leave Jane to her art in the middle of the project and forget to go back to help her pick it up. That means that it stays out over night! Well, because the humidity is high, the stamp pads don’t dry up! Isn’t that great?!
Some differences Jake and I have noticed about Jane and Sawyer:
1) Sawyer has WAY more hair than Jane had at this age. He still doesn’t have a lot by most standards but he does have this cute little swirl of hair at the top of his head. It reminds me of the top of a dairy queen ice cream cone.

2) Jane spent a lot of time looking around and a decent amount of time looking into my eyes. Sawyer spendsa lot more time looking into my eyes or studying my face than Jane did. Isn’t that an interesting difference?

On another topic,
We talked about food storage at church on Sunday. This lesson kind of inspired me to get a better idea of where I stand with my food storage and to learn how to use what I do have better. We have a little less than three months of the basic food storage the the church advises us to have. That said, I make all my own bread, we eat a lot of rice and if necessary we could drink powdered milk until the situation allowed us to drink regular milk again. In my studies I found this great blog with a ton of recipes for food storage. You guys need to check it out.

Foodstorage911.blogspot.com

Since I stumbled across this site, I have made wheat berries, rice pudding, an awesome rice ad beans salad and I still plan on making a pasta chicken salad, chili, and potato soup. All of the ingredients for these six meals cost me only $38! I have almost everything I need stocked in my pantry or included in my food storage.

Well, that is enough from me for the morning. My kids are antsy and Jane needs a new diaper!
Later.

2 comments:

the Rew Crew said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm off to check out that great food storage site...thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Reading your daily blog is almost like being there with you. I miss you girl!