Thursday, July 9, 2009

Little Steps...

BIG NEWS!!

Sawyer took his first independent steps today!

We didn't even know he could stand independently.
Here's how it went down:
Jake got Sawyer up from a nap and put him down in front of me. I was helping Sawyer stand and just let go to see what would happen.
Well, Sawyer stood their for a second or two and then took one step forward before sitting down ever so gracefully (seriously, he sat down gracefully, no falling at all).
Sawyer proceeded to do this a couple of times in a row.

Have I mentioned yet that he is only 8.5 months old?! Crazy huh?
Jane was a relatively early walker herself.
And they do say that boys pick up physical skills more quickly... so I really shouldn't be surprised, Right?!

In other news, we've been trying a new method of punishment for all of Jane's hitting. Instead of spanking, lecturing or putting her in time-out we have been holding her down and giving her kisses for every hit she gives us. This totally de-escalates (is that a word?) for me. I feel less like screaming at the top of my lungs and more like laughing when we do this so even if it doesn't work for Jane, it is worth it because it keeps me calm.

The funny thing is that it actually works with Jane.
We started this yesterday and today she is taking considerably less swipes at us than she normally does. Yesterday the hitting and kissing game would last for 5 or more minutes at a time. We would literally be holding her down and kissing her arms and legs and face she was trying to hit and kick us so many times. Today she just tries to kick and run and gives up after about 10 tries when she sees that she's not fast enough to get away without a kiss yet.

If I think of any more brilliant parenting tricks I'll be sure to post them here first!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

That's such a good idea!

My mom used to hold my brother in her lap with her legs over his and her arms wrapped around him so he couldn't hit or kick her until he calmed down. He was the only hitter in our family but she said it worked because he didnt like being held like a baby.....lol!

Jennie Z said...

I am sorry to hear Sawyer's walking, only because that means he'll be running soon! AHHHH!! Congrats on the first steps!!

angie said...

Starleigh,

wow, i have never heard of this discipline tactic! its hilarious! it would totally work for Logan, because he hates kisses... except when it is really late at night and he loves me lots and lots. but, on the other hand, i would like him to "like" (tolerate) kisses, so i am not sure i would put it to action on him!!

i can just see jane swatting at you and then running her little legs off to escape the kiss attack!

so- now sawyer is "toddling" and as i sit here, i can see a little boy in my belly poking his feet straight up- warping the shape of my big belly. how time flies!!!

love ya

angie