Monday, July 13, 2009

Have you ever?

Have you ever...

- Taken a shower with your little baby while his arms are wrapped around you and his head is laying on your shoulder? It is, seriously, the most peaceful and tender thing I've done all week.

- Embarrassed yourself by crying over something that doesn't really matter that much to you anyway?

- Realized how much you have grown and changed in the last year?

- Fought the urge to scream at your child because she bit you so hard you wanted to cry and won?

- Figured out what the parenting books are really talking about when they tell you to be kind and firm?

- Decided to just give someone the benefit of the doubt?

- Been really impressed with the man your brother has become?

- Been told by your husband that there is a big bug under your foot?

- Looked down and seen said bug writhing to get away with all the life left in it? (Ew, seriously)

- Felt really good about what you accomplished in a day?

Okay, so I know this list is pretty corny but my life has been pretty full lately. There have been victories and disappointments and all of the sweet and loving tenderness that comes from just being a mom and living life.

Compared to this time last year my life is so much easier. At the same time though it has so many challenges. One really smart person told me once that the Lord shows his love for us by giving us challenges. Of course I rolled my eyes at this with my college freshmen attitude. In the last few months (maybe years...) this thought has really stuck with me.

I am so grateful for the challenges that I have. I have learned so much about myself and what I am capable of; I have had a glimpse of what my potential is. I know that the Lord trusts me to endure through my trials and I know that if I can be faithful that my testimony will only be stronger because of them.

I also want my friends to know how grateful I am for them. You know who you are. We may not live next door to one another or be able to start the invitation only village that I would LOVE to start but I know I can count on you. I know that your thoughts and prayers are with me as mine are with you. You are the sisters I have longed for my whole life and I am so blessed to claim you as my friend.

3 comments:

Kim said...

that was a beautiful post, Starleigh. Thank you for giving me the boost I needed for today!

PS: do y'all have any available nights next week to come over for dinner?

barbaraence said...

Definitely agree with Kim. Beautiful post. :)
Oh, and when you figure out what those parenting books actually mean by "kind and firm" will you let me know? :)

Amelia said...

I love this post, its not corny at all! thanks for sharing your thoughts.
And, yes we do need to get together again soon. I am dying to have people over, but have vowed to get cushions on the couch before doing so... yesterday I bought some cushions, now I just need to figure out how to cover them. you didn't by any chance go to that sewing enrichment did you? I am now wishing I had. Anyway, lets talk sunday