Sunday, October 19, 2008

Fabulous Fall

Okay, ladies, here's a post for you that doesn't have to do with pregnancy and toddlers.

Today, I ate dinner in heaven.
I'm not kidding. I sat down at a cumulus table and dined with angels today. This kind of dinner only happens in one season every year... Fall.
For dinner we had butternut squash and apple soup. It is the most amazing soup that I have ever had/made and you can only make it in the fall.
It's creamy (though not made with cream) and sweet and spicy and it has the most amazing melt-in-your-mouth flavor that is the.... I don't know what it is.
Anyways, if you want toe recipe go to foodnetwork.com and type butternut squash and apple soup in the recipe finder section at the top of the page. The recipe I use is from the Barefoot Contessa.

Alright. After that wonderful dinner I started thinking about my ideal menu for the different holidays that are coming up.
Here is what I was thinking:
Thanksgiving would consist of the aforementioned butternut squash and apple soup as a starter. Turkey (made using a recipe by Bobby Flay--I can't think of what it is called but it uses apples as well) with cranberry orange relish, fresh green beans sauteed with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper, mashed potatoes and home-made dinner roles would be the main course and dessert would be choice between apple-cranberry crist or pineapple-coconut tart.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of apples in the fall...I think it is because I'm from Washington State.

Christmas hasn't been decided as specifically as Thanksgiving has but Jake and I want to do a big Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve instead of Christmas Day. In the morning on Christmas Day I'm making this great Breakfast Sausage Casserole recipe that I got from the Cooking Light website. It is AMAZING!! It is so rich you couldn't eat it even once a month but it would be perfect for a Christmas tradition. The best part is that it is made with ingredients that keep it pretty healthy.
Christmas Eve Dinner would for SURE include a Honey-Glazed Ham and fresh green beans. I'm not sure what else. Dessert would probably consist of chocolate mousse with cherries.

What are your family traditions? I'm trying to figure out what we can do to create our OWN family traditions. Fill me in!!

4 comments:

Laura said...

We always eat our Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve, and we eat it by candlelight...it's a favorite tradition of ours.

We also draw names and make a homemade gift for the person whose name we drew. We give each other our homemade gift on Christmas Eve and afterwards sing christmas carols by the lighted tree.

barbaraence said...

I love Laura's idea of the handmade gifts. I also like the idea of Christmas dinner on the Eve of Christmas. BTW, I saw that recipe in cooking light :)
We like to take turns opening gifts. I know some families just let everyone tear through everything. Ken's family lets everyone open a gift one at a time and show it to everyone and etc. That way, it takes longer and draws out the excitement (i think so anyway).

Darcey said...

i <3 you for loving Food Network so much :-) I've found that Ina Garten is the only chef whose recipes I can actually make and not have to buy a ton of ingredients that are completely foreign to me...

Scott said...

you're not from washington... give me a break, you're georgia all the way...